Thursday, March 30, 2006

THE MEASURE OF SUCCESS


Everybody has their own definition of what success is. It is true that success is very particular, as particular as each individual who wants to own a successful life. For me success is like war: you can have little successes in your life, kind of like winning individual battles, and you can have a successful life, kind of like winning the war. The question is, then, do we want success or do we want a successful life? I can only answer that question for myself, and expectedly I want to have a successful life.

Many people measure success in terms of how many figures their paychecks have, or how much money there is in their retirement account or in the bank. Those aspects of our lives are extremely important, more so today than years ago, however, life is much more than that, at least for me. My measure of success is how well balanced all aspects of my life are: the mental, emotional, spiritual, and physical well-being. I want to measure success in terms of the status of my academic and my professional careers, but also in terms of the harmony of my family life, the happiness of my soul, and how I share myself, my potential, my feelings, my friendship, my love, and my companionship with those around me. I want to grow my bank account, but I also want to grow the level of humanity in me and hopefully in those around me. I want to measure success with numbers and figures, but most importantly, I want to measure my success in terms of quality, depth, health, and strength. I want to measure success in terms of earnings, but above that, I want to measure my success in terms of how much I have learned, how much I have shared and the quality of my sharing; how much enjoyment I got from doing the things I love, the things I like, and the things I must do; how many times I have laughed and how loudly; and how much in peace I am with myself. My success is how well all aspects of who I am are in tune with what I always wanted to become. At the end of the day, I want to know how successful my life is and has been by how truthful I was in realizing the maximum potential of my mind, body, heart and soul.

No comments: