Wednesday, March 15, 2006

HOW LONG IS TODAY?


I have always found the concept of time fascinating. As humans, our lives revolve around past, present, and future, as we remember and learn about the memories and experiences of the past, strive to make the most out of our present time, and look into the future with skepticism, anxiety, excitement, or hope. However, I realized a long time ago that the present does not really exist. Every second of our present time is gone in a second. What is left of the present is future, as it has not happened yet, and past, as in the blink of an eye all our actions and thoughts are gone with time. All the words that I am writing right now are a reflection of the thoughts that already flourished in my mind, which makes them part of my past. Fortunately, when I write though, those thoughts become past, present, and future.

When we live in the present, we are really living in the past, with the anticipation of an immediate future that will happen minutes or hours or days away from our most recent past. There is no such thing as the present, really. Breathe, and the breath is gone, blink and the glance is gone, kiss and the moment is gone. Even feelings can make their way into the past sometimes, but I think feelings are the only thing that is not constrained to time realities. As it is true that some feelings become part of the past, some feelings stand the test of time and they become eternal. I have some of those feelings that I just carry with me around no matter what happens or where I move. And as the memories attached to those feelings are part of my past, the feelings themselves do not respond to the logic of time.

So, what is reality and what is not when all our lives are just an illusion based on a time system that does not really add up? Why are we immobilized to do what our hearts tell us when we know that our present is really the sum of all our pasts? Do we have time to live in the present and in the reality of things, even when we know that all will be just memories and past instantly? Do we have time?


No comments: