Tuesday, April 04, 2006

To Say or Not to Say

There is a say, (at least we say it in Puerto Rico), that the best word is one that remains unspoken. All my life I heard this, and I have to say I never believed it myself, but I have always wondered why people would rather not say what they really feel. I can understand why people would rather not say what they really think sometimes, but are words really better when they remain unsaid? Why do we choose to not say, or worse, say what we do not mean or not mean what we say?

If saying, speaking, talking, using words as a means of expression were a crime, I would have to be lucked in jail for the rest of my life. Words are an important means of expression for me, and keeping them hidden is like restraining my freedom. I have always tried to say what is most honest and true to what I feel at the time. Sometimes the meaning of what I had said in the past has changed, but I have always been at peace with letting the words be heard by my ears and the ears of others. Sometimes I have chosen to say what I must with simple words, other times with poetry and other writings, and some other times with a song. For me words are like a river that must flow and find the ocean: blocking its path is possible for some time, but inevitably the flow will always find its way. Refraining myself from expressing my ideas, thoughts, and feelings is like shadowing a light that nurtures life. Of course I have said things that have gotten me in some trouble, not with myself though, but with others. However, I have never had to apologize for saying, only to myself for not saying at times.

I was thinking about this peeve of mine of having the urge to voice out my mind, heart, and soul; and wondering if at times I should just keep things to myself. However, just to think about not verbalizing or writing what I feel boils up an energy in me that wants to explode, so I guess the answer is no, at least not for now. I have always been proud of saying what I mean and meaning what I say, so that is the way it will be. Everybody should have the courage to say, and everybody should have the courage and openness to listen, hear, and understand.

No comments: