Thursday, May 11, 2006

THE SIMPLE LIFE

Going to Puerto Rico always brings back feelings and memories that never become part of the past. Puerto Rico is very much in me, through a connection that never ceases. It is always good to go back home. I go back often, in spite of all the production that I have to orchestrate to be able to get there. Everybody gets so happy with our visit, it makes my spirit rise.

Seeing San Juan from above was everything I had anticipated, as I have seen it so many times. Driving back to my hometown is always soothing, as I get to see the scenery that is absolutely majestic. Being in my old neighborhood where my grandparents still live (and most of my friends as well) is like a trip to the past in which time has stopped. The lifestyle in my neighborhood is still calm and quiet. People keep the door to their houses open all day, visitors just pop in, uninvited and unannounced, and it is totally OK and right; people expect visitors to eat at their houses, even if it is a little snack, and it is very impolite to refuse; everyone we know made a big deal out of our visit, which made us feel very welcomed and important.

Sabana Grande looked exactly the same as the last time I was there, the way it has looked all my life. The same little stores are still up and running, the signature little restaurants are still open for business, and the same arguments about politics and economics permeate the atmosphere. I do not share the same vision about life as most of the people in my hometown, however, I can appreciate the simple life they live. It is a place of pure simplicity and limited worries, and my time also stops when I am there.

2 comments:

amelche said...

What you describe about leaving the doors opened all the time and inviting everybody to have meals in your house was usual in my Spanish town 30/40 years ago. Unfortunately, that is not possible now because there are more crimes (thefts and burglary)and because the old houses have been knocked down to build appartments and the neighbours don´t know each other nowadays. And the way of life is faster and faster and more stressing and we don´t have time to talk to the neighbours nor friends. It´s a pity.

Anonymous said...

Interesting site. Useful information. Bookmarked.
»