Sunday, May 14, 2006

MOTHER'S DAY



Today is a day to celebrate motherhood. At least, it is the official day proclaimed by some government officials in which mothers are supposed to emulated, celebrated, honored, and thanked for all their motherhood duties. I am part of the celebration today, as I celebrate the mothers in my life. As for me, I celebrate my own motherhood everyday.

Maybe an official mother’s day is necessary to remind everyone of the great contributions of mothers to the world and to our lives. However, ideally, there would not be the need to have a day marked in the calendar to remind us to think about the significance of motherhood and mothers to our world, and to celebrate it. Mothers do courageous, selfless, loving, unconditional things everyday, on a regular basis, and that is worth thinking about, celebrating, and appreciating not once a year, but everyday. Of course, as humans we do need the structure dates and reminders provide to frame our actions when it comes to celebrations like mother’s day, so let this be a day to celebrate all mothers, including ourselves, the ones blessed with the immeasurable gift of motherhood.

1 comment:

amelche said...

I think you are right. Very good post. Mother's Day was last week here in Spain.