Friday, August 11, 2006

NOT WORTH IT

Life is really too short to focus on the bad. Every time we let our hearts fill up with negativity, it affects our whole sense of balance and every aspect of who we are, mind, body, soul, and spirit. It is human to feel anger, frustration, and disappointment, but nothing is worth giving those negative feelings a permanent presence in our lives. I know this is easier said than done, though. However, I have met extraordinary people who have lived through unimaginable horrors to most, and still were able to find it in their hearts to forgive and move on, growing their heart’s ability to fill up with love in immeasurable amounts. And those people who are full of the grace of forgiveness are actually happier and more at peace than those who perpetuate the circle of negativity that once impacted them by joining forces with it.

I think negative feelings are just exhausting. Negativity drains my energy, diminishes my soul and weakens my spirit. To engage in a negative cycle by giving in to the negative feelings that I could experience as part of life is not something that I am interested in doing. Of course it is frustrating when others perpetrate atrocities against humans or other living entities. Of course it is heart-breaking and painful when others hurt us, intentionally or not. Of course it is part of human life to experience anger and pain. But indulging in those off-putting feelings over a long period of time can be highly damaging and destructive. I know this from experience. I lived through painful horrors myself at a very young age, but when I was old enough to comprehend what had happened to me I decided to move on, forgive, and love in return, and I feel at peace. Besides, as upsetting as those bad experiences of my life were, they do not come close to shocking stories such as
Immaculee Ilibagiza’s and many others that when told appear surreal to us.

I once heard words that have resonated in my head ever since: “hate is a poison that you take thinking that it will harm another person”. When you think you cannot forgive and move on, look at the courageous people who have lived through worse than you and I can possibly imagine and how they have been able to, not only go on with their lives, but to live happy and fulfilling lives focusing on the goodness, the blessings they have, and being hopeful about humanity, and maybe that will give us all some inspiration to only embrace goodness.

6 comments:

Brett Battles said...

100% right.

Hate controls you.
Compassion, understanding, acceptance frees you.

Which would you rather rule your life?

Great post.

Unknown said...

Some people engage in negative dynamics and they might not realize they are affective us.

amelche said...

Yes, we should be more positive. Negativity and hate, first of all, hurts ourselves and then our loved ones, people who probably didn't have anything to do with the first problem which made us so negative.

Anonymous said...

I couldn't agree more with what you say about the way negativity affects you. My good friend Kirsty has been telling me for a long long time that I don't have enough confidence in myself and that I'm too negative.

Then I saw it for myself - saw how like a virus it is. You see it - you do something to shut it out and stop it .... and it's amazing how much things improve. How less exhausted you are from having to fight a war with yourself every moment of the day.

Unknown said...

RM: It really is like a virus, and it feeds in itself and becomes stronger when we let negativity take over.

Anonymous said...

Very cool design! Useful information. Go on! Rental car greensboro nc Monitoring parameters for lipitor Automotive and boating impact computers and electronics http://www.xenical-information.info/The-best-medication-for-high-blood-pressure.html http://www.moving-company-0.info/Movingcompanies20.html phendimetrazine c.o.d accepted fast shipping